Tuesday 29 July 2014

Emeli Sandé eyes Bond score, Olympic gold and fears X-rated Jaguar collaboration


Emeli Sandé says she doesn’t understand why people compare her to Adele and says she would rather score and entire Bond film than just sing its theme song.

The 27-year-old Scottish songstress may have emulated the Someone Like You singer in penning the biggest selling record of the year, but Sandé thinks their material is worlds apart.

‘I guess it’s because we are both quite soulful, we’re both British, we’re both girls… It’s lovely and I am a fan of hers, but I think there are other people that both of us can be compared to,’ she said.

Admitting she would love to win Grammy awards like her chart rival, the Clown singer says also fancies getting her teeth into a 007 soundtrack.

‘I’d love to do film scores. Bond would be cool, but I love classical music, so composing would be a big dream,’ she said.

‘I think visuals and music go together beautifully. I’d love to write a musical as well. I have ideas every day about musicals,’ she teased.

Despite being one of the biggest recording artists in the UK, Sandé says the industry she works in is too male dominated.

‘The music world is 100% male dominated,’ she warns.

‘I think when women start writing that’s where the real control is as you are giving a message out to people. But it’s a business and a lot of women just want to stay creative – which I respect. But I think it’s harder to get control if you are a woman.’

Meanwhile Sandé fears her next music offering could turn X-rated as she has been asked to write an exclusive track to promote the launch of the new Jaguar XE Sports Saloon.

The Next To Me hitmaker is asking fans to send inspiration for lyrics via social media using a unique hashtag to influence her FEEL XE Exhilaration track.

‘I’m asking fans for things that sound exhilarating and things that get their hearts going. I am going to sit and watch them all and see what song comes out,’ she explained.

But on realising her description could inspire some saucy suggestions, she laughed: ‘Maybe I will get more X-rated tweets and it could get really RnB.’

Away from her own music, the singer revealed she has also been working with Rihanna and Mary J Blige to help them create their own new records.

‘Mary has been with me this past week. Sitting next to a legend and listening to her sing your words is a real buzz,’ she gushed.

The petite star also revealed she has developed an ambition to compete in the next Olympic Games having performed at the 2012 London closing ceremony.

‘I just got a trampoline. I’m trying to learn some tricks although I’m a bit scared. Next Olympics I could be a trampoline gold medallist,’ she laughed.

And while it seems to have been all work, work, work (and trampolining) for the chart topper, Sandé says she knows how to party.

Spotted at Tinie Tempah’s 25th birthday party in London last November, the Scot was appeared to enjoy herself as bottle after bottle of sparkler adorned champagne arrived at her roped off table.

‘I guess because I spend so much time in the studio that when I go out I like to go for it. I have a wild side. I do,’ she giggled.

[Elements of this article appeared in Metro, Guilty Pleasures, Tuesday 29 July 2014]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.