Tuesday 13 May 2014

Quickfire Q&A: Lauren Shuler Donner X-Men: Days of Future Past


The latest X-Men film – Days of Future Past – unites the original X-Men trilogy cast (including Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Ellen Page and Hugh Jackman) with Matthew Vaughn’s First Class prequel (Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence and Nicholas Hoult).

Based on the Uncanny X-Men’s 1981 storyline Days of Future Past, the X-Men use their powers to send one character (in the case of the film Jackman’s Wolverine) back in time to stop a horrifying future in which Sentinel robots have wiped out most of the world’s mutants.

X-Men’s mega-producer Lauren Shuler Donner stopped for some rapid fire questions about the superhero franchise.

What was the biggest challenge bringing Days of Future Past to the screen?

It was a logistical nightmare to get the whole cast together because everybody had other commitments. Patrick and Ian were doing a play, Jennifer Lawrence was doing the Hunger Games, Hugh had to go and sell the Wolverine – it was very, very difficult. But the end result was all worth it!

How will the time-travel element in DOFP impact the timeline seen in the original X-Men trilogy?

It will be fine. The next one – X-Men: Apocalypse (due in 2016) – will move into the 80s.

Is X-Force still going ahead as well?

I’m not sure. But it would be good.

With such a rich history in the X-Men comics, what other X-Men storylines would you like to see brought to life in cinema?

You know, I do have a special project that I wish I could talk about. When I can, I will say “this is the special project I meant!”

You tease!

I know! But I just can’t. It will be very different…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.