Monday 14 April 2014

Dane DeHaan: I'm not crazy!


Dane DeHaan has joked he doesn’t need an intervention after playing crazy villains in both The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Chronicle.

The 28-year-old American actor says he is attracted to troubled characters as it gives him a bigger challenge when it comes to playing a part.

‘Don’t worry, I’m not like them at all,’ he laughed. ‘I play complicated people because that’s what’s interesting to me.'

'I have always loved acting and I’ve been given so many great opportunities to grow as an actor. And the harder those opportunities are, the more I’m going to grow so I look for the hardest ones,’ he said at the UK premiere of Spider-Man in London.

While DeHaan plays villain Harry Osborn in the film – who transforms into the Green Goblin – he credits Spider-Man himself with attracting him to acting in the first place.

‘I grew up with my Spider-Man pyjamas playing Spider-Man and that kind of thing. That’s how I started acting… pretending to play superheroes,’ he said.

With Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man trilogy still fresh in the minds of many, DeHaan says he doesn’t feel pressure over filling the boots of previous Green Goblin, James Franco, and that he finds the character of Harry Osborn more daunting due to the fact he is a legend in comic book lore.

The pressure lies in playing a character that has been around for 50 years. There has been many incarnations of Harry Osborn so I had to honour who he is as well as give the world a new Harry they haven't seen before,’ he said.

While clearly enjoying his role as the legendary character on screen, DeHaan reveals he hasn't been forced to sign one of Marvels notorious multi-picture deals.

'I’m good to go! I didn’t have to sign much of my life away at all. I think this film definitely plants the seeds for more to come, but what exactly that is, I don’t know. But I’m excited to find out.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.