Tuesday 31 May 2011

ALEX WINSTON


American singer/songwriter Alex Winston released her debut EP earlier this year and has been building up a buzz for her quirky sound that fluctuates between Arcade Fire and Diane Birch. Having recently pushed back live performance dates so she can focus on polishing off her upcoming full length album, we figured it would be a great time to Q+A the musician as she releases her latest single (and title track of her EP), Sister Wife.

Describe your sound in five words
Jangly, gangy, wall of sound.

Your new single is called Sister Wife - there is a TV show called Sister Wives which is about a family of polygamists - is there any correlation with this show and your song?
I’ve seen the show and it’s alright, but honestly, if it were to have been based off of a polygamist television program - which it’s not - it definitely would have been inspired by Big Love. I thought that show was brilliant.

What are your views on marriage in general?
I don’t know, I’m sure I’ll get married, have kids and get fat. I don’t care what anyone else does as long as they are happy and it’s not harming others. I wouldn’t judge you for having two wives.

You’ve worked with production duo The Knocks - how were they to work with?

They are two of my closest friends, so it’s easy.  We have a pretty solid working relationship because they don’t try to change my sound.  They let me take the lead with things.

You’re a fan of a cover song - what’s your favourite track to sing at Karaoke?
Youth Gone Wild by Skid Row

Which artists would you most want to collaborate with?
Little Richard.

Your latest music video is a bit bizarre and features a possessed cat - are you a fan of horror films?

I’m a fan of bad horror films like The Ice Cream Man and Sleep Away Camp. The video was inspired by the Japanese film Hausu. Everyone should check it out.

What is your favourite movie?
American Movie.

You’re off on tour! Where is your favourite place to perform?

I really love Berlin and Frankfurt. I can’t wait to go back.  I’m also looking forward to spending some real time in London.

What have been your best and worst live experiences?

The best experience I’ve had recently was coming back to New York to a sold out show.  I felt like I had been away for so long and it was really refreshing to see my friends come out to support. And I guess when I threw my tambourine into the audience and busted someones lip open…that was the low point.

[Originally published on wonderlandmagazine.com/blog]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.