Friday 27 May 2011

CLARE MAGUIRE


23-year-old Clare Maguire whipped the musical world into a frenzy of excitement when she emerged earlier this year with the release of her debut album Light After Dark – gaining recognition from the BBC’s prestigious Sound Of 2011 short list and bagging Q Magazine’s Next Big Thing Award. Today sees the release of new single The Shield And The Sword so we caught up with the songstress for a Q&A about her music icons and experiences.

Describe your music in five words
 Honest, emotive, strong, heartfelt, pop

What are the inspirations behind your music?
 Everything from everyday experiences, people, overhead conversations, music, film, art, fashion and alcohol.

It has been said your single The Last Dance was written in response to the death of Michael Jackson – is this true?
 It was triggered by his passing. He was one of my biggest musical inspirations and I got so annoyed with the negative coverage he received at the time.

Who are your musical heroes?
 Johnny Cash, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Howlin’ Wolf, James Brown, Bob Dylan, Dolly Parton, Prince and Michael Jackson.

Your new single is called The Shield And The Sword but which is your favourite Shield And Sword style film out of Gladiator (starring Russel Crowe), Troy (starring Brad Pitt) or Red Sonja (starring Brigitte Nielsen)?
 Definitely Gladiator. Troy is one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. I quite like Brigitte Neilson though, but more for Beverly Hills Cop 2 than Red Sonja.

What was the inspiration behind the video for your new song?
 The different setups were inspired by different things. The blonde wig came from my love of Marilyn Monroe. The beehive setup was all about my love of men in small pants.

You’ve toured with Plan B, Hurts and The Script and are hitting the festivals this summer – what has been your most memorable gig to date?
 My first show ever was at Green Man Festival in Wales playing blues and folk songs with my mate Tom on guitar. Started off playing to a couple of people in the rain at the Courtyard stage, and by the time I finished it was rammed. Best experience of my life so far.

What has been your worst gig so far?
 I enjoy all the shows, even the bad ones.

Which festival are you most looking forward to taking part in?
 Glastonbury. It’s first time I’ll have been there, and I made sure I played on the Sunday so I could watch Beyonce afterwards. Also on the Friday I’ll be jumping on stage with James Breakage to perform his Ain’t Nobody remix.

Will you be camping?
 Won’t be camping I’ll be glamping.

[Originally published on wonderlandmagazine.com/blog, April 2011.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.