Tuesday 20 September 2011

Katy B

Releasing her debut album, “On A Mission”, earlier this year, the singer-songwriter, Brit school graduate and Mercury Prize Nominee has been praised for her honest lyrics relating to wild nights out and relationship issues, not to mention her knock-out live performances. We get up close and personal with the young star to find out about some of her preferred tastes.
Personal style
My style is like my music: I can be quite ‘Tom-boyish’ and laid back. But on the other hand I am quite girly and like heels. I’m always in jeans, or sweater dresses with vans and tights. So I’m like a hip-hop chic, girly girl.
Personal shopping
I shop everywhere and anywhere. I will get a vintage playsuit or jeans and a vest. I love Nicholas Kirkwood shoes and have a nice collection of them. I aquired some good stuff from River Island the other day and I love Topshop.
Favourite fashion items
I love nice gold hoop earrings, or silver hoops - I like the way hoops come through my hair. I also like Vans – I’m always in white Vans. I live in them.
Make-up essentials
I like to have a bit of colour on my cheeks and a pink blush makes me look healthy. I am quite proud of being fair skinned and I’ve never gone for the fake tan look – so I work with products that are good for paler skin and keep it natural looking. MAC foundation is good.
Best advice
Zinc, who is one of the producers on my album, said: “don’t ever think anything is out of your reach for what you want to do.” He remembers when Roni Size said he was going to start a live band and play festivals and all the Drum ‘n’ Bass DJs thought [sarcastically] “alright” - then he went and won the Mercury music prize and everyone realised he went and did it. I think if you have a vision for something, don’t be afraid to go for it. Everything is possible.
Soundtrack before a night out
I really like Frank Oceans’s album and Kelly Rowland’s song “Motivation.” I love it! It reminds me of being 16 and listening to slow jams. I remember my brother was into that stuff and it was his way of getting girls. It is such a tune! I just bought Gill Scott, Beyonce and SBTRKT’s new albums.
Ritual before a gig
During my shows I jump up and down a lot on stage and I noticed I was getting shin splints from jumping so much. So I’ve started doing stretches and stuff before I go on –I feel like such an idiot doing it, but I have to or I’d have sore legs for weeks after.
Performing on stage
I get nervous before going on stage – but you have to be excited. I remember why I wanted to do this and feel happy about it. The crowd is the reason I jump around on stage and get shin splints. I walk on and think “Right, I’m not going to jump around today,” but then the crowd are jumping so then I’m off jumping. The crowd gives me so much energy.
Favourite place to go out with friends
Loads of places in Brixton – Hootananny in Brixton is wicked. They have a lot of live music there. On A Mission is written about a lot of different places and real scenarios where I’ve been with friends. “Lights On” is about being in Fridge Bar in Brixton where the MC would say “big up to everyone still dancing with the lights on” at the end of the night and I though “why has no-one written a song about this?” “Perfect Stranger” is about a friend who was walking through the crowd of a festival and saw someone and their eyes just met and they made out – it’s about knowing what someone’s thinking without talking to them.
When relaxing at home
I will watch Come Dine With Me. I love the Omnibus, but it is so dangerous. I will have things to do and I’ll sit down and the first episode will come on and then the next one…you can’t not watch them all!
















[Originally published in Rollacoaster Magazine Issue 3, September 2011. Photography Jesse John Jenkins],

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.