Monday 6 June 2011

THE VACCINES

London band The Vaccines exploded onto the music scene at the tail end of last year with their single, Wreckin' Bar (Ra, Ra, Ra), and released their debut album, What Did You Expect From The Vaccines, in March amongst much anticipation. Awards nominations have been lavished upon the boys ranging from the BBC’s Sound of 2011 to MTV’s Best New Band Latest single and this summer they look forward to tearing up the festival circuit. Latest single, All In White, is released today, and we caught lead singer Justin Young for a quick Q+A about the band’s sound, style and summer hopes.

Describe your sound in five words
Simple, direct, referential, fresh, honest

You were given a golden ticket by being praised by seemingly everyone long before you released your album - have you felt pressure to maintain a level of expectation?
I think we felt some pressure. Who wouldn’t? But we were lucky enough to have finished writing our album before it all began. So it never interfered with us creatively. And on a personal level, we were touring pretty heavily. We weren’t sat at home googling people’s predictions, we were sound checking in Middlesborough. Also, we all felt confident that we had a good thing going and I think that helped. Anyway, now the album is out, people are free to celebrate or ignore. I think we all feel good right now.

You lost out in the BBC’s Sound Of 2011 to Jessie J - are you bitter?
No. I’m not sure it’s something bands pay too much attention to. I think just as many people are turned off you by your inclusion in things like this as they are turned on to you. I personally found it quite fun being included in the list. But none of us thought about it much. The Bravery won it a few years ago. I think that tells you all you need to know. I like Jessie J. I like pop music. She is catchy enough. Good voice.

What awards would you want to win?
I’ve always found people awarding creativity slightly strange. It’s a subjective process so adding a competitive element doesn’t seem right. That said, I never won anything as a kid, so I’d probably take anything going.

You’re about to head off round the festival circuit - which festivals do you expect you’ll enjoy?
I’m looking forward to Glastonbury. Ibiza Rocks sounds nice and Lollapalooza in Chicago. We’re playing 45. Hopefully they’ll all be fun.

Which other acts are you looking forward to watching perform while at the festivals?
I haven’t really had a chance to see who is playing. I know we’re playing with Beirut, Arcade Fire and My Morning Jacket. We had to pull out of Primavera. We were all pretty gutted. I think that had the best line-up of the summer.

What has been your most memorable gig to date?
Playing Bowery Ballroom in New York in January. It was Arni’s first time in America and we sold it out. It’s pretty exciting walking on stage in city like New York to a packed out room of people there to listen to your music. It’s always strange when your music precedes you. We had a good gig. And a good party too.

Your new single is All In White - the colour white is very on trend right now. Are The Vaccines particularly fashion conscious?

This is an observation my girlfriend has already made! We are. It’s something I’ve always taken an interest in. I think we’re definitely understated in what we wear. But I think knowing what not to wear is as important as knowing what to wear. I also think that part of being in a pop band is looking good. I want to feel good when I walk on stage or when someone takes my photo but I don’t like feeling like I’m trying too hard. We’re all really into 50s and 60s American fashion.

Where is your favourite place to go for a drink?

We get to go to so many on tour. My friends just opened a great place in Paris called Le Carmen. When I’m in London, I just like the pub. I like the John Snow in Soho.

What has been the most disastrous night of drinking the band have experienced together?

It involved a married couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.